Heading South for Victoria


With the weather finally in our corner we set off. As we left Twofold Bay we encountered washing machine sea’s and the sailing was unpleasant but not intolerable. Intolerable would have been staying in Eden!

By the time we were due to pass Green Cape Lighthouse the wind and swell had dropped off considerably. The sky went from 1/8 cloud to 8/8 within 15 minutes. We had a sea fog so thick and dense it blanketed the swell and was a virtual doona! We could barely see the lighthouse from two miles out.

We watched the GPS and plotter avidly as we approached Victorian waters. How wonderful to be in our home sea’s again! Sunset had us by Gabo Island with our only concern being to be past Point Hicks by 12 pm the next day as a strong wind warning was being broardcast for that area. We expected to clear it by seven hours and easily achieved it.

Sailing that evening was both eerie and magical. Surrounded by dense fog,hazily illuminated by the full moon we had a small amount of visibility but no stars.

What we did have in spades was the presence of large pods of dolphin, all prettily lit up by the phosphorescence! Incredibly beautiful and fantastic company to keep at sea!

Night passed into day and still we motorsailed in the thick dense fog. When we could we used the Ipad ap ‘Marine Traffic’ to try and spot shipping. It’s fairly good but needs reasonable access to internet connection to be up to speed.

Later in the day we saw the first oilrig emerge from the gloom. It looked spooky with it;s veil  of mist lingering around it’s seabed supports. At times during the day our visibility was down to two hundred meters. We were happy to stay above the shipping lane.

Yet another evening and night at sea and finally Wilson’s Promontary came into view. At 0700 hrs we topped up our fuel ( we have only a 100 l tank!) and proceeded towards Refuge Cove.

As we approached we had several radio transmissions from the RBYC Cruising Fleet. They were just leaving Refuge, having been there for two days and invited us to join them at Port Welshpool, another 10 miles east.

After 48 hours of nonstop two handed sailing we politely declined.  An anchorage and a sleep were called for and the appropriately named Refuge Cove beckoned like a siren. This was our longest two handed passage in the entire transit up and down the east coast of Australia and we despite the comfortable weather conditions we really needed a good sleep!

So from a Snug Cove to a Refuge all in two very long days, most of it feeling like we were in an isolation tank from the rest of the world thanks to the omnipresent fog…….


This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *